added by Sheri Mullins
A light refreshing side dish for the heat of the summer! Goes great with chicken salad croissants. Our summers here in Texas routinely go over 100 degrees. My turn at Bunco fell on a 102 degree day. The last thing I wanted was to heat my kitchen so I came up with this dish by combining a few different recipes. It was a hit!Ingredients
1 large cucumber, sliced
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
3 c watermelon, cut into small size chunks
3 large tomatoes, cut into small size chunks (same size as the watermelon)
1/4 to 1/3 c red wine vinaigrette dressing
1 pinch sea salt (large)
1 Tbsp sugar
1/3 to 1/2 c feta cheese (tomato and basil flavored)Directions
1. Peel cucumber and slice in thin slices. Place in a bowl with tight fitting lid. Add vinegar and olive oil. Stir until combined. Add a couple dashes of pepper. Close lid and shake bowl to distribute mixture and pepper. Refrigerate overnight.
2. The next day - Cut watermelon and tomatoes into small chunks. Place in large bowl.
3. With slotted spoon, strain cucumber from vinegar mixture onto cutting board. Discard vinegar mixture.
4. Cut cucumber slices in half and add to watermelon bowl.
5. Sprinkle sea salt and sugar over watermelon mixture; mix until well combined.
6. Add dressing and a couple dashes of black pepper; stir until combined. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.7. 30 minutes before serving, stir in feta cheese.